Canvas is a cloud-based Learning Management System that makes teaching and learning easier. Adding closed captions to videos that have been uploaded to Canvas is quite easy using CaptionSync's .2014.VTT output file. This tutorial provides step-by-step instructions on how to add captions to Canvas videos as an instructor.
Submitting your Media for Captioning:
- Log into CaptionSync and navigate to Caption/Transcribe -> Advanced Settings.
- Under the Output Types tab, choose the .2014.VTT output format. Click the Apply Changes button to save the settings.
- Submit your media file using our List of URLs feature. We recommend adding Result Review to your request.
- Once results are available, download the .2014.vtt file from the Results Email or the Submission Details Page
Uploading Captions into Canvas:
- Log into your Canvas account and open the video you wish to add closed captions in Canvas Content.
- Click the CC icon on the player and select Upload Subtitles.
- In the Create/Add Subtitles window, scroll to Step 3 and choose the Language of the caption file, then click on the Choose File button to browse for the .2014.vtt caption file.
- Click the Upload button to load the caption file into Canvas. Canvas will confirm that your caption file has been successfully uploaded. Reload your browser to view captions during video playback.
More information is available in Canvas Community article on How to add captions to new or uploaded videos in Canvas as an instructor.