Closed Captioning with CaptionSync allows you to upload batches of files using our AST-Link app. This article shows how to use AST-Link 2.x for Windows.
If you had already used AST-Link 1.x for Windows previously, the following are the main differences between 1.x and 2.x:
- 2.x no longer relies on the default settings set up in your CaptionSync account, but rather in the settings selected in the app.
The settings available in the 2.x app are the same found in your CaptionSync account.
- There’s a new auto-detect Transcript Type setting which allows AST-Link to automatically add captioning, if it cannot find the associated transcript.
- There’s a new Take Batch Identifier from Folder Name setting which allows you to drag a folder of items and the Batch Identifier will be set to the folder name.
Video Tutorial (This video is an alternative to the Text Tutorial)
After you've installed the app in your computer, you're ready to start making requests.
Using AST-Link 2.x for Windows:
1. Open AST-Link. The main window opens to the Start New Submission tab, with the Settings on the left:
This section lists the different options, if you have never used AST-Link before...
- Next to Submission Type, you can choose the submission type: Captioning, Transcription Only or Production Transcript, depending on which types are enabled in your account.
- Next to Transcript Type, you can choose if you want to supply us with your own transcripts, or have us create them for you. The default setting is to auto-detect the presence of the transcript.
- Next to Transcription Turnaround, you can choose the priority of the requests, if you want us to create the transcripts for you.
- Next to Persistent Note, you can select any Persistent Notes currently enabled in your account.
- In the Notes box, you can leave guidance for the transcribers, such as the proper spelling of names or special terminology.
- If you have a set of files of similar subject, you can name these under one name in the Batch Identifier box. Note that no spaces or special characters are allowed in the batch identifier.
- Next to Purchase Order, you can select any existing valid Purchase Orders saved in your account or enter a new one (if your account requires a Purchase Order).
- Next to Language in Audio, you can select the language your content is in.
- Checking the Result Review box will add our Result Review service to the requests.
2. Under the input area on the right-side, drag or select the media files from where they are located. A few things to note:
- The file names of the transcript and/or media files cannot have any special characters or spaces in them, e.g., & $ ! * < > ? / . These will be replaced by spaces upon upload (see Using Nicely Named Files for more info).
- If you are supplying your own transcripts, the media file and the transcript file must have the same base name, i.e., lecture1.mp4 and lecture1.txt , and must be in the same folder.
- You can drag a whole folder into the app, instead of individual media files. In this case, all the files present in the folder will be listed in the input area. You can also name the batch after the folder by clicking the Settings icon, and checking the Take Batch Identifier from Folder Name box, under Account Information. This way, the batch identifier will be the folder name, and results will be presented as a .zip file named after it.
- When Auto detect is selected (next to Transcript type), the app will look for a transcript file for each media file of the same base name. If it finds the text file, it will show only a Captioning code (C), without the transcription code (that can be H, R, T or L). You can tell if the transcript files were detected or not by the service code displayed:
3. Finally, click Start Upload:
4. You can monitor the status of each upload under the Status column:
5. You can cancel any uploads in progress by clicking Cancel Upload:
You can later resume the upload by clicking Resume Upload:
6. You can check the submission results in the Status of Submissions page, in your CaptionSync account, within about 10-20 minutes after the files have been uploaded (may take longer, depending on the quality of your internet connection, and the size of the files). For submissions where we are supplying the transcript, if you detect duplicates, or jobs with the wrong duration or settings, please cancel them immediately.
Submitting Content with different Settings:
See our article on how to submit content consecutively with different settings.
Results for complete requests will be emailed to you and they can also be retrieved from the respective Details pages, under the Status of Submissions page, in your CaptionSync account.
If you used a batch identifier, you can download a .zip file with all the results from the Batch Status page.
Another way to retrieve the results is via the AST-Link app itself:
- Click the Fetch Results tab. Click Refresh to see the results listed. Select the results you want to download and click Start Download. You can delete the results from the outgoing folder by checking Delete File after download:
- If you used a Batch Identifier when you submitted your jobs, CaptionSync will wait until all of your jobs have run and then present the results in the AST-Link application as a single .zip file. If you later submit more material with the same Batch ID, those results will just be added to that zip file.
Note that, for failed Captioning-Only jobs (where you supplied the transcript), batch results will only be listed once all requests are complete, or 18 hours after the last job in the batch was updated.
- Your result files will remain available to AST-Link for up to one year. Even if you delete result files via AST-Link, they will still be available via Status of Submissions, in your CaptionSync account.
Configuring settings and adding new user profiles:
See our article on how to configure settings and adding new user profiles.
- If you have a media file with a matching transcript in the same folder and add that media file to AST-Link with AST Transcribes selected, the app will correctly show that you are requesting both Transcription and Captioning services. However, if you change the Transcription Turnaround time to a new value, the app incorrectly shows that the service code as Captioning Only; this can be corrected by changing the Transcript Type to Auto detect and then back to AST Transcribes.
- If you select Take Batch Identifier from Folder Name in your profile, and then drag in a folder, AST-Link does not populate the Batch Identifier field. It will correctly use the folder name as the Batch ID, but it does not show this in the Batch ID field.
- The Show public key functionality does not currently work.
- The AST-Link 2.x for Windows is a brand new version of AST-Link. Please open a ticket to let us know about any issues you find while using it.
- You can only have one instance of the AST-Link app running on a computer, at any given time.