Adding closed captioned videos to your Canvas courses and assignments is easy with our CaptionSync Smart Player LTI application. This is particularly useful for videos you don't own. This tutorial describes how to set up CaptionSync's Smart Player LTI integration with your Canvas learning management system.
One-Time Setup (CaptionSync account):
- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for Canvas LTI Integration from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see Canvas LTI on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, log back into your account, and navigate to Settings -> Canvas LTI. Copy the Shared Secret value to your clipboard.
One-Time Setup (Canvas account):
- Log into Canvas as an Admin, or a user with LTI "add and edit" privileges, and go to Courses. Select the course you want to add the CaptionSync LTI App to (in Canvas these are called "External Apps"). Go to Settings -> Apps -> View App Configurations. Click the + App button.
- Complete the fields required as follows:
- In Configuration Type, choose By URL.
- Name the App as CaptionSync Smart Player or something similar.
- The Consumer Key field corresponds to your CaptionSync username, and the Shared Secret is the one provided in your CaptionSync account under Settings -> Canvas LTI.
- In the Config URL field, paste the following URL:
- Click Submit.
This completes the one-time setup for a course. Teachers, TAs and designers with publish and edit privileges for the course will now be able to use the CaptionSync Smart Player button, in the Rich Content Editor, to embed a captioned video in any page or assignment where the editor can be used. See how in our Embedding Smart Player captioned videos in Canvas courses article.
Note that if you are a Canvas Administrator, you can enable the CaptionSync LTI app for your entire account. However, in this case you need to be aware that you are sharing the captioned videos from one CaptionSync account with all teachers and designers for all courses in your account. If you have complex setup scenarios, please reach out to us to discuss the options.
- You can find more information about LTI Tools in Canvas' article What are External Apps (LTI Tools).
Please sign in to leave a comment.