Adding closed captioned videos to your Canvas courses is easy using our CaptionSync Smart Player LTI application. This tutorial describes how to set up CaptionSync's Smart Player LTI integration with your Canvas learning management system.
Video Tutorial (This video is an alternative to the Text Tutorial)
One-Time Setup (CaptionSync account):
- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for Canvas LTI from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see Canvas LTI on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once the feature is enabled, log back into your account, and navigate to Settings -> Canvas LTI. Copy the Shared Secret value to your clipboard or keep this page open.
One-Time Setup (Canvas account):
- Log into Canvas as an an account admin or a teacher with LTI "add and edit" privileges, and go to Courses. Select the course that you want add the CaptionSync LTI App (in Canvas these are called "External Apps"). Go to Settings -> Apps -> View App Configurations. Click the + App button.
- Complete the fields required as follows:
In Configuration Type choose By URL. Name the App as CaptionSync Smart Player or something similar. The Consumer Key field corresponds to your CaptionSync username, and the Shared Secret is the one provided in your CaptionSync account under Settings -> Canvas LTI.
In the Config URL field paste the following URL, replacing the word username with your CaptionSync username:
- Click Submit.
This completes the one time setup for a course. Teachers, TAs and designers with publish and edit privileges for the course will now be able to use the CaptionSync Smart Player button in the Rich Content Editor to add captioned video to any page or assignment where the editor can be used.
Note that if you are an account administrator it is possible to enable the CaptionSync LTI app for your entire account. However, in this case you need to be aware that you are sharing the captioned videos from one CaptionSync account with all teachers and designers for all courses in your account. If you have complex setup scenarios, please reach out to us to discuss the options.
Embedding captioned videos in course pages and assignments (instructions for teachers):
- In your Canvas course, navigate to Pages or Assignments. Click the Edit button or create a new Page or Assignment.
- In the Rich Content Editor select the place where you want to embed the video and click the CaptionSync button.
- Select the video you want to embed from the list of captioned videos. Click Embed.
If you have several videos in your list, you can use the search tool to narrow down your search.
- Once the video is embedded on a course page, learners can view the entire video with captions, without having to leave the course page.
- You can find more information about LTI Tools in Canvas' article on What are External Apps (LTI Tools)?