- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for Kaltura MediaSpace from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see Kaltura MediaSpace on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, you can either log into your Kaltura KMC account and go to Settings -> Integration Settings to copy the Partner ID and Administrator Secret, or within your Kaltura MediaSpace administrator account, go to Manage Configuration -> Client and copy the partnerId and adminSecret.
- Log back into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Kaltura MediaSpace, paste the Partner ID and Administrator Secret into the appropriate fields and click Automatically Set Up:
Note that the Root Category and the Category to Monitor values are set up by default, but you can choose to change these settings.
Optionally, AST can manually customize your integration with either of the following:
- For Kaltura LMS integrations such as Blackboard, it may be desirable to set the category to monitor to be above the CaptionSync Captions category (Category to Monitor is N Levels above CaptionSync Captions). In addition, it may be desirable to use an LMS created category name at the same level as in process (Category to Set as In Process).
Please open a Support ticket and send us the values that should be added for either of the Category to Monitor is N Levels above CaptionSync Captions, Category to Set as In Process, and/or Custom API Domain and Custom Share Domain settings.
MediaSpace User Permissions:
Before making Captioning requests, you need to ensure you give MediaSpace users and instructors appropriate permissions to request captioning. MediaSpace administrators can give captioning access to specific MediaSpace users, like instructors, by logging into MediaSpace as an Administrator, and opening the Manage Users tab. Then, clicking the Edit User button next to the user you will be giving permission to request captioning, and changing the role to adminRole. Finally, save these settings. Repeat the same steps for each user you need to give permission to request captioning.
Approving Captioning requests:
- Moderators that need to approve captioning requests can do so by opening the Order Captions channel, in MediaSpace:
- The requests awaiting approval will show under the Pending tab. Select the requests you want to approve and click Approve:
- Open the Captions In Process channel to see the requests that have been approved for captioning and are being processed.
- Once captions are complete, the video will show in the Captions Complete channel. CaptionSync will automatically push the caption file back to Kaltura MediaSpace and will associate captions with the matching video.
- If you change the Root Category or Category to Monitor values after it has been set up, you may need to fix your Playlist so it watches the correct category, or, run the Automatically Set Up again so the correct categories are present.
- You can hide the captioning categories from the MediaSpace menus under Manage Configuration -> Navigation, by changing the includeCategories option from Yes to No and save these settings. Note that this action will hide all existing categories not just the captioning categories, except for the PRE and POST menu items.
- If you choose to hide the categories and you have made Order Captions a moderated category, you will need to use a link (that we can provide) in order to approve captioning requests, or use the link in the Kaltura moderator notification email. As an alternative to Kaltura category moderation, you can use our Submission Approval feature.
- Due to Kaltura's transcoding processes, you could experience some delays in seeing the video listed in the "Order Captions" channel after receiving the captioning approval notification email. So, if you're experiencing this behavior, a workaround would be editing the flavor options to generate first the transcoding flavor our system requires to process a Captioning request. The transcoding flavor can be edited from within its corresponding Transcoding Profile, in your Kaltura KMC account. To edit this setting, you will need to go to Settings -> Transcoding Settings, and click on the SD/Small - WEB/MBL (H264/900) flavor (ID 487061), then select "Required" from the Impact on Entry Readiness drop-down menu, and "Force Flavor Generation" from the Flavor Generation Policy drop-down menu. Finally, click Save.
- You can also submit URLs to media files located on Kaltura, in your CaptionSync account, after you have configured the integration, instead of placing the requests from within Kaltura.
Once the one-time setup is completed and users have been enabled to request captioning, please visit our article on Closed Captioning with Kaltura MediaSpace - Instructors, to learn how to request captioning via Kaltura MediaSpace.