CaptionSync supports Audio Description, also known as video description or descriptive narration. Our Audio Description feature allows users to generate a verbal description track of relevant visual elements that appear in the video and are essential for comprehension, but are not communicated through the video’s existing audio. In this tutorial we show how to enable your CaptionSync account for this feature, and request Audio Description for your media files.
- Open a Support ticket and ask to have your account enabled for the Audio Description feature.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, log back in and you will see a Describe tab on your CaptionSync account.
Making Audio Description requests:
There are two methods available to request Audio Description for existing jobs: using the "bulk" Audio Description request feature, available under the Describe tab; or requesting Audio Description from within individual Submission Details pages.
Using the "bulk" Audio Description request feature:
- Go to Describe -> New Audio Description. A list of available submissions is presented.
NOTE: Only submissions in it's video format available will show on this list. Audio Description is not available for audio files (e.g. MP3, WAV).
- Select the jobs you want to add audio description to, and then click Request Audio Descriptions.
Note that you don't have to wait for the captioning process to be completed in order to request audio description.
If your Captioning request failed originally, ensure you choose the most recent results by selecting the jobs where the Description starts with Redo: (lower case).
- You can use the Guidance for Describer feature to send notes and specific instructions for the describer. Note that this guidance will be applied to all the individual requests. If you need to leave specific guidance for each individual submission, place the request from its Details page instead.
- Click Request Audio Description. It typically takes about 4 business days to create the audio description results.
Making an Audio Description request from an individual Submission Details page:
- Go to Caption/Transcribe -> Status of Submissions, and select the job you wish to add Audio Description.
NOTE: If your Transcription-Captioning request failed originally, ensure you choose the most recent results by selecting the jobs where the Description starts with Redo: (lower case).
- On the Submission Details page, the Audio Description field will show if the submission is eligible. If it is, click the Request Audio Description link.