Transcribing your media files with CaptionSync is easy. In this article we show how to request just a plain text transcript without any caption files.
There is a Clean Transcript sample attached at the bottom of this tutorial.
- Log into your CaptionSync account and go to Settings -> Account Features. Select Add Transcription Only to my account, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you can't see Transcription Only on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, then it's already enabled.
Making Transcription-Only requests:
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, go to Caption/Transcribe -> Change Submission Type, select Transcription Only, and click Change. You can make this the default Submission Type by checking Save as default.
Note: if you're using AST-Link on the Mac, you need to ensure you save the submission type as default, since the droplet on the Mac will use the default submission type (if you have more than one enabled on your account).
- Open the Transcription Only Submission page. Fill out all the fields of interest, including leaving Guidance for the Transcriber. Note that if you wish to have our transcribers identify speakers by name (e.g. >> Pat: Speech), you need to make that request in the Guidance.
- In the Advanced Settings, you can choose the language your media file is in; and you can choose if you want to receive a version of the transcript in the .docx or .pdf formats, in addition to the .txt output.
If you want your settings to apply to all of your subsequent submissions, then check the Save Above Settings As Default box. Next click Apply Changes.
- Submit your media file and click Start Upload.
Once the upload process is complete and you see the success page, you can follow the status of your submission by going to the Status of Submissions page. When the job is complete, you will receive the results via email, and they can also be downloaded from the Submission Details page.
List of URLs submissions:
- If you're making a Transcription-Only List of URLs submission, make sure you change the submission type before you make the request. This is the Submission page you'll see:
- This type of submission does not generate captions.
- If your CaptionSync account is Prepaid, you will need to ensure you add sufficient Transcription minutes to your balance before you submit your job.