Transcribing your media files with CaptionSync is easy. In this article we show how to request just a plain text transcript without any caption files.
- This type of submission does not generate captions. This means it is not suitable for cases where you need to load a caption file into a player in order to display closed captions. Also, the Smart Player is not available for this type of request, since no captions are generated.
- If you want to receive a transcript with no timing information, in addition to caption files, simply follow the instructions in our I need a Transcript in addition to Caption files article.
- The output generated for this type of request is a verbatim transcript without timing information, called "Clean" Transcript. A sample file is attached at the bottom of this tutorial.
- Log into your CaptionSync account and go to Settings -> Account Features. Select Add Transcription Only to my account, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you can't see Transcription Only on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, then it's already enabled.
Making Transcription-Only requests:
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, go to Caption/Transcribe -> Change Submission Type, select Transcription Only, and click Change. You can make this the default Submission Type by checking Save as default.
- On the New Transcription Submission page, open the Advanced Settings. Under Language/Content, you can select the language the audio is in, and apply a specific transcription expertise to the request. Under Output Types, you can choose if you want to receive a version of the transcript in the .docx or .pdf formats, in addition to the .txt output.
If you want your settings to apply to all of your subsequent submissions, then check the Save Above Settings As Default box.
Next click Apply Changes.
- Back on the submission page, fill out all the fields of interest, including leaving Guidance for the Transcriber. Note that if you wish to have our transcribers identify speakers by name (e.g. >> Pat: Speech), you need to make that request in the Guidance.
- Upload your media file and click Start Upload.
Once the upload process is complete and you see the success page, you can follow the status of your submission by going to the Status of Submissions page. When the job is complete, you will receive the results via email, and they can also be downloaded from the Submission Details page.
List of URLs submissions:
- If you're making a Transcription-Only List of URLs submission, make sure you change the submission type before you make the request. This is the Submission page you'll see:
- This type of submission does not generate captions.