CaptionSync allows you to submit URLs to your media files stored online. This tutorial shows you how to submit a list of URLs for Captioning and/or Transcription, or for Production Transcript.
Note 1: If you're going to use our Smart Player feature, please read these important notes before placing your request.
Note 2: The List of URLs feature does not allow you to submit your own transcript. If you have an existing transcript, or pertinent notes, please submit them as guidance for the transcriber.
- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, and select Add List of URLs Submission to my account. Finally, click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you can't see List of URLs on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, then it's already enabled.
Making a List of URLs request:
- Once the feature is enabled, log back into CaptionSync. There will be new items under the Caption/Transcribe tab: a New List of URLs page, and a new Status of Lists page:
Learn how to choose a different Submission Type (Captioning, Transcription or Production Transcript)...
- Ensure you choose the correct type of submission, before making the request. Note the differences in the List Submission page between the three types of submission:
Submitting your URLs:
- On the New List of URLs for Captioning/Transcription/Production Transcripts page, open the Advanced Settings and check that you have the correct settings, like the outputs, language, or transcriber expertise.
Note that if you're making a New List of URLs for Transcription, then only the Language setting will be available.
- On the List Description field, enter the title or a brief description, to help you identify the submission in the future. This description must be unique: you cannot use this name in future lists, or they’ll be rejected.
- On the Transcription field, select the transcription priority, and add pertinent information for the transcriber. If you have set Persistent Notes to the Transcriber, they will show here.
- On the URLs to Caption/Transcribe field, list the URLs that direct to your media file. Please check the accepted URL formats before you make the request. List one URL per line, without ancillary characters around them (like commas or space), and introduce a new line (CR/LF) between each one. Note that there is a size limit for URLs: 511 characters.
- Check Zip up as Batch, if you want to receive results for all URLs as a single zip file. The name entered under List Description will be used as the Batch Identifier.
- When you have all the options set, click Submit List:
NOTE: If you also need to request Audio Description for your video(s), you can add that service to your order by checking the Add audio description to the above URLs box under Step 4, in the New List of URLs for Captioning page.
- You'll now see a New List of URLs Status page. If any of the URLs is not formatted correctly, you'll see warnings that it has been excluded.
Checking the Status of your List:
- Open the Status of Lists page. On the History table, you can check if all the files in your list have been downloaded. If any of your files fails to get downloaded and processed, the Not Ingested field will show as red. Learn how to check the status of a List and fix any problems with downloads.
- Click the List ID of your submission to see more details, and ensure the duration listed matches your file's duration. Partial downloads and other network errors can cause the file to be incomplete. If the duration listed is incorrect, cancel the submission.
- On the Status Code field, you can see if your file was successfully downloaded or not. You can learn more about the meaning of the different Codes by clicking on the blue question mark icon.
Checking and accessing Results:
- Once the file is processed, you’ll see the AST ID of your submission and the duration. Submissions already captioned and/or transcribed will show Succeeded under Status. If you checked Zip up as batch when making the request, you can download the batch results zip file from the List Details page:
- You can check all the details by clicking the AST ID and opening the Submission Details page of an individual submission. Here you can check its status, requested outputs, eligibility for redo, billing information, etc:
- The individual results can be retrieved from your Results Email, and they can also be downloaded from the Submission Details page.