CaptionSync allows you to submit URLs to your files for Closed Captioning. This tutorial shows you how to submit a list of URLs for Captioning and/or Transcription, or for Production Transcript. It provides a convenient method for captioning batches of files which are already online.
- Log into CaptionSync, click Settings -> Account Features, and select Add List of URLs Submission to my account. Finally, click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you can't see List of URLs on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, then it's already enabled.
Making a List of URLs request:
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, you will see new items under the Caption/Transcribe tab: a New List of URLs for Captioning, New List of URLs for Transcription or New List of URLs for Production Transcripts page, and a new Status of Lists page:
Choosing the Submission Type:
- Ensure you choose the correct type of submission, before making the request. Note the differences in the List Submission page between the three types of submission:
Submitting your URLs:
- On the New List of URLs for Captioning/Transcription/Production Transcripts page, check your current settings, like the Language, Transcriber expertise and Outputs. Note that these are the settings we'll use to caption and/or transcribe your media files. Open the Advanced Settings to make any changes you need. Note that if you're making a New List of URLs for Transcription, then only the Language setting will be available.
- On the List Description field, enter the title or a brief description, to help you identify the job in the future. This description must be unique: you cannot use this name in future lists, or they’ll be rejected.
- On the Transcription field, you can select the transcription priority, and add pertinent information for the transcriber. If you have set Persistent Notes to the Transcriber, they will show here. Note that supplying your own transcript for captioning is not possible with List of URLs.
- On the URLs to Caption/Transcribe field, list the URLs that direct to your media file. Please check the accepted URL formats before you make the request. Note that there is a size limit for URLs: 511 characters.
List one URL per line, without ancillary characters around them (like commas or space), and introduce a new line (CR/LF) between each one.
- Check Zip up as Batch, if you want to receive results for all URLs as a single zip file. The name you entered on the List Description field will be used as the Batch Identifier.
- When you have all the options set, click Submit List:
- Once the URLs are accepted for processing, you'll see the New List of URLs Status page. If any of the URLs is not formatted correctly, you'll see warnings that it has been excluded.
Checking the Status of your List:
- You can follow the status of your submission by opening the Status of Lists page. On this table, you can check if all the files in your list have been downloaded. If any of your files fails to get downloaded and processed, the Not Ingested field will show as red:
- Click the List ID of your submission to see more details. Keep in mind that it does take some time to fetch and process the media files.
- Ensure the duration listed matches your file's duration. Partial downloads and other network errors can cause the file to be incomplete. If the duration listed is incorrect, cancel the submission.
- On the Status Code field, you can see if your file was successfully downloaded or not. You can learn more about the meaning of the different Codes by clicking on the blue question mark icon.
Fixing URLs not processed:
If you see a green field, then your file was successfully downloaded. If there is no AST ID, then we downloaded the media, but several things may have happened:
- We have not yet processed the submission. There will be a warning stating Queued for ingestion.
- The downloaded media was invalid. You will be emailed about this.
- The media file is private/protected. You will be emailed about this.
Please make your media file public, and then re-fetch the item using the Retry Fetching List Items feature.
- There are insufficient prepaid minutes on your account to process the file. You will be emailed about this.
Please add sufficient minutes to your account, then re-fetch the item using the Retry Fetching List Items feature. Note that you can only make one attempt to re-fetch the missing items on the list, so you should add minutes to your account first and then try to re-fetch the list.
If you see a red field, then your file wasn’t downloaded (possibly despite getting a success message from the webserver). This could be due to:
- A problem with the server where the media file is kept. You will be emailed about this.
Try a little later, using the Retry Fetching List Items feature.
- The media file was not found (e.g., 404 error). You will be emailed about this.
Place the file in the correct location, then re-fetch the item using the Retry Fetching List Items feature.
Checking and accessing Results:
- If the file was already processed, you’ll see the AST ID of your submission and the duration. Once the files are captioned and/or transcribed you’ll see Succeeded on the Submission Status field. If you checked the Zip up as batch box when making the submission, you can download the batch results zip file from this page:
- You can check all the details, and cancel the request if needed, by clicking the AST ID and opening the Submission Details page of an individual submission. Here you can check its status, requested outputs, eligibility for redo, billing information, etc:
- The individual results can be retrieved from your Results Email, and they can also be downloaded from the Submission Details page.
Generating and Receiving Smart Player links automatically:
You can choose to have Smart Player links generated automatically, by configuring the Automatically Generate Smart Player Links options, under Settings -> Smart Player:
You can also receive Smart Player links via email, once results are available, by checking the Smart Player Links Auto-Generated box, under Settings -> Contact Settings, and then saving by clicking Update Contact Settings: