This article shows you how to move all captions forward (positive ripple) or backward (negative ripple) for a completed captioning submission using the Redo Feature. This is useful in cases where after submission, new content was added to or removed from the beginning of the original media submitted. This feature does not work for content added to or removed from the middle, or added at the end of the media file.
Be careful that captions don't go into negative time. If for example you want to move all captions back 20 seconds, but currently the first caption appears at 10 seconds, you will get an error message like:
ERROR: Ripple puts captions in negative time. Error 216: Bad ripple value. Caption File Output Generation Failed Rejected: Unable to caption show
To fix this, you either need to delete this caption (in the case where it is no longer logical in the timeline) or make sure it doesn't start before your ripple (20 seconds in this example) by adding in a ^B marker, like:
^B00:00:30 [ Music ]
The timecode of the ^B marker is with respect to the timeline originally submitted.
How to use our Ripple feature:
- Go to Status of Submissions, and click the AST ID link for the request you want to Redo. Choose Click here to Redo.
- On the Submission Redo page, open the Advanced Settings. Under the Language/Advanced tab, next to Ripple, enter the duration by which you need to ripple the captions forward or backward. Note:
- The Ripple timecode is formatted like HH:MM:SS:FF, where H is hour, M is minute, S is second and F is frame.
- If you need to ripple backwards, enter the timecode as -HH:MM:SS:FF .
- Then click Apply Changes to Redo.
- When you have all the options set up, click Submit Redo. You’ll see the Redo Status screen right away, and new results will be available in just a few minutes.
If you need to make other changes, you should follow the instructions available at our complete tutorial on the Redo feature.
Please sign in to leave a comment.