CaptionSync's Redo feature provides users with a simple and fast mechanism to rerun Captioning jobs and change appearance settings, request different output files, alter the text transcript or repair sync issues. This feature allows you to:
- Edit the caption text, like fixing typos.
- Correct timing errors because of noise or music in the original media.
- Modify caption appearance settings (jump to that article if this is all you need).
- Select new output formats (jump to that article if this is all you need).
- Set a minimum Caption Hang Time (jump to that article if this is all you need).
- Ripple the captioning timeline (jump to that article if this is all you need).
- Change the offset timecode (Broadcast only) (jump to that article if this is all you need).
- Make changes to your existing Video Encoding output or Digital NLE captions.
The Redo feature is available for 1 year after your initial media submission. This tutorial will walk you through the procedure for issuing a Redo.
Video Tutorial (This video is an alternative to the Text Tutorial)
1. Log into your CaptionSync account, go to Caption/Transcribe -> Status of Submissions. Click the AST ID link for the job you want to Redo. The Eligible for Redo field will show if the submission is eligible for a Redo:
2. If you wish to edit your text transcript, for example to repair sync or make text changes, you'll need to download the .txt file available by Text Transcript. When editing it, please note the following:
- Do not use any other file as the starting point for your revision, and upload a plain .txt file, not a .doc, .rtf or .pdf.
- If you only need to make text changes, don't delete/change the sync markers and other markup (e.g. ^M, ^E, ^B, ^IT, ^NO, ^*, etc). Ensure the final text matches the audio content.
- If you need to repair captions out of sync, complete information is available in our Sync Marker Summary article.
More information is available in our Transcription Guidelines, Caption Results Not in Sync and Getting Sync Markers to Work articles.
- If Result Review was performed on your request, or your Transcription-Captioning request failed originally, you need to edit the new transcript our reviewer issued. This is available by Text Transcript, on the new Submission Details page (the Description starts with Redo: ).
More information is available if you're having issues getting the Redo to accept your transcript.
3. Choose Click here to Redo. On the Submission Redo screen, you can check your current settings, like Language and Outputs. Use the Advanced Settings button to make changes to the existing settings or choose other outputs.
To learn how to make the following Settings changes, check out these articles:
- Getting different outputs
- Change the Caption Appearance
- Setting a Minimum Caption Hang Time
- Setting a Caption Offset Timecode (useful for Broadcast purposes)
- Ripple the captioning timeline
Click Apply Changes to Redo when you're done.
4. On the Submission Redo page, you can choose which transcript you want to use:
- Upload revised transcript (and change the settings if you wish)
- Change settings - Use original transcript (you can change the settings and use the original transcript)
- Change settings - Use transcript from last redo (you can change the settings and use the transcript from the last Redo)
NOTE: If you don't need to make changes to the transcript, and Result Review was performed on your request, or your Transcription-Captioning request failed originally, please select the Change settings - Use transcript from last redo option.
5. When you have all the options set up, click Submit Redo.
The process is quick because there is no new media file being uploaded. You’ll see the Redo Status screen right away, and your results email will arrive in just a few minutes.
You can retrieve the new results from your results email, or go to the Status of Submissions page in your account and select the new Redo job to download the files from the details page.
AST-Link, Batches, and Integrations:
- When you do a Redo of a batch submission made via AST-Link, the new results will be included in the batch .ZIP file.
Note that the batch ZIP file is only updated when all submissions in progress are finished.
- Redos for integration requests where a "callback" is used (e.g., Kaltura, Mediasite or Echo360) will push back results automatically.
- Redos for integration requests where a "callback" is not used (the system keeps checking for results, e.g., Panopto, NCast), will only get the new results if the original job failed.
Some things to consider when using Redo:
- This feature is available for 1 year after your initial media submission, at no additional cost. If the submission is older than 6 months, you'll need to open a support ticket so that we can reinstate the original files.
- Note that Redo changes can only be made to the media submitted with the original submission. If you need to provide a revised media file, then you will need to submit it as a new job.
- You may run as many Redos as you need to for a given job, but you cannot Redo a Redo. Therefore, if you want to preserve transcript changes made in previous Redos, start with the transcript submitted for your last Redo.
- If you selected Result Review for your original job, you won't be able to do a Redo once initial results are generated and the job is in Results being reviewed status. You'll only be able to do a Redo once Result Review is complete.
- If you're fixing a failed Captioning-Only submission, and your account is prepaid, ensure you have enough credits before you submit your Redo.
- When doing translation, ensure you review the original results first, and use the Redo feature if you need to issue new results. If you Redo after the translation is complete, your changes will not propagate to the translated results.
If you originally selected Video Encoding or NLE Captions, this output will be automatically regenerated upon a Redo.
- Result Review cannot be added to a Redo; go to the original Details page to add it.
- You can only add Video Encoding to a Redo after adding it to the original job.
- You cannot add Digital NLE Captions to a Redo, if it wasn't selected for the original submission.