Closed Captioning D2L/Brightspace Capture videos with CaptionSync is easy using our integration. This tutorial describes how to set up CaptionSync's integration with D2L/Brightspace Capture.
- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for D2L Integration from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see D2L on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- In the meantime, contact your D2L/Brightspace account representative and provide them with your CaptionSync username, and ask them to configure your Capture web portal for the CaptionSync captioning integration and supply you with an SSH key.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, and you have the SSH key provided by D2L, log back into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> SSH Keys and click Add Another Key. Paste the SSH key into New Public Key, add a Note for Key (e.g. D2L Capture), and click Add Key. The status initially shows as Pending, but changes to Ready within 5 minutes (reload the page).
- Because the current D2L player ignores line breaks, you'll need to set your lines per caption to 1, under Caption/Transcribe -> New Captioning Submission -> Advanced Settings -> Caption Appearance -> Lines per Caption. Check Save Above Settings as Default, and click Apply Changes.
- Log into your D2L/Brightspace Capture portal, click Admin -> Content -> Presentations.
- Click on the name of the presentation that you want to submit for captioning.
- Near the bottom of the screen, click Automatic Caption Generation to expand the options. Select the Language; select Rush if you wish to submit the submission for 1-Day Transcription processing, and finally click Request captions -> Save Changes:
- An email will be sent to one of your system's Administrators, requesting approval for the captioning request. The request is only sent to us once it is approved by one of the Administrators.
To see details of a request, cancel it or to submit a redo, log into CaptionSync and go to Captioning -> Status of Submissions.
You can also see details of a request from the same screen in the D2L/Brightspace Capture portal where you submitted the request (click the Advanced checkbox to see the submission details).
Once your presentations are captioned, they will show the CC icon in the web portal player, allowing viewers to toggle captions on and off:
- If you have a Purchase Order account, a valid Purchase Order needs to be set before you make any requests from D2L/Brightspace. If there isn’t a default Purchase Order set, the most recent valid one will be used. If there aren’t any valid Purchase Orders, all captioning requests will be rejected.
- D2L presentations can be embedded into D2L Learning Environment websites, or other content management systems.
Please sign in to leave a comment.