Closed Captioning Tegrity videos with CaptionSync is easy using our integration. This tutorial describes how to set up CaptionSync's integration with Tegrity.
One-Time Setup (Tegrity account):
- Log into your Tegrity account as Administrator, and go to Advanced Service Settings -> Automated Captioning, and check Enable automated captioning.
When you approve a request for captioning, Tegrity sends an email notification to any email addresses entered in the Captioning service notification email address field. Before you set up your CaptionSync account, you should do a test caption submission using your own email address, as you will need some of the values in the email for configuration. Follow these steps to generate a test email:
- Enter your own email address in the Captioning service notification email address field and save the settings.
- Navigate to a class that you want to use as a test, and select the Automatically Caption option, under available actions.
- In the Admin Dashboard, select Caption Requests, under the Recorders and Recordings section.
- You should see the request that you just submitted listed in the caption request queue. Check the box next to the submission, and click Approve. You should receive an email similar to the one below within a few moments. Note that this submission is for test purposes only; caption requests will not be submitted to CaptionSync until you add the CaptionSync email address, as described in the next step, and configure your CaptionSync account to accept Tegrity caption requests.
- After you have received the test email, you can update the Captioning service notification email address field
One-Time Setup (CaptionSync account):
- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for Tegrity Integration from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see Tegrity on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, go to Settings -> Tegrity Settings. Referring to your test email, copy and paste your Tegrity Customer Number and the Base URL to Callback. The Base URL is the initial portion of the Caption Postback URL, up to the third “/”; it will include either the domain name or IP address of your Tegrity server (in the above example, the Base URL would be: http://stage.tegrity.com/). Once you have copied both of these fields, click Update Settings.
- Note that Tegrity cannot accept a caption line length of more than 90 characters per line. So go to Caption/Transcribe -> New Captioning Submission -> Advanced Settings -> Caption Appearance. Set the Line Length to less than 90, and Lines per Caption as 1. Check Save Above Settings as Default, and click Apply Changes.
Submitting Classes for Captioning:
- Log into your Tegrity account, either as an instructor or as an administrator. When the Automated Captioning feature is enabled for your organization, there will be a new option under Class Actions called Automatically Caption. Place a check mark next to the classes that you want captioned, and select Automatically Caption from the Actions pull-down menu, in the lower left.
- Classes submitted for captioning in this way are placed in an approval queue that is available to Tegrity administrators. From the Admin Dashboard, select Caption Requests, under the Recorders and Recordings section.
- New captioning submissions will appear in the list with a status of Pending. Check the boxes next to submissions that you want to approve, and click Approve.
To see details of a request, cancel it or to submit a redo, log into CaptionSync and go to Captioning -> Status of Submissions. You may also use the Tegrity ID to track the status of your submissions by pasting the ID at the end of the https://web.automaticsync.com/show_details.php?tg_id= URL; then copy and paste the URL in your browser.
Once captions are available for a Tegrity class, they will appear in a box below the instructor video pane, on the left side of the screen.
- If you have a Purchase Order account, a valid Purchase Order needs to be set before you make any requests from Tegrity. If there isn’t a default Purchase Order set, the most recent valid one will be used. If there aren’t any valid Purchase Orders, all captioning requests will be rejected.
- A Tegrity administrator needs to review and approve all caption requests.
A description of known issues for the Tegrity integration can be found in our article on this topic.
Please sign in to leave a comment.