- Provide Panopto Support with your CaptionSync username, and ask them to configure your account for the CaptionSync captioning integration and supply you with an SSH key.
- In the meantime, log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for Panopto Integration from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see Panopto on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, and you have the SSH key provided by Panopto Support, log back into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> SSH Keys and click Add Another Key. Paste the SSH key into New Public Key, add a Note for Key (e.g. Panopto), and click Add Key. The status initially shows as Pending, but changes to Ready within 5 minutes (reload the page).
Requesting Captioning and Transcription for all presentations in a folder:
To caption all lectures for a given folder, go to the All Folders page, under System. Click the Settings icon for the folder. On the Settings tab, under the Captions section, choose AST CaptionSync:
This will send out a request for captioning for all sessions in the folder that have not already been captioned. When this option is chosen, all future sessions for this folder will automatically be sent for captioning as soon as the recording is completed and processed.
Requesting Captioning and Transcription for individual presentations:
To caption an existing recording, click its Settings icon. On the Captions tab, choose AST CaptionSync, and then click Order:
To see details of a request, cancel it or to submit a redo, log into CaptionSync and go to Captioning -> Status of Submissions. You may also use the Panopto ID to track the status of your submissions by pasting the ID at the end of the https://web.automaticsync.com/show_details.php?p_id= URL; then copy and paste the URL in your browser.
Once captions are associated with an entry, you can turn them on/off in the Panopto player, by clicking the CC icon:
Clicking the CC icon will also allow you to configure some appearance settings:
The player offers other useful tools that are only available if your session is captioned: you can scrub through the caption text to see what the speaker is saying; and if you click a caption, the player will resume at that point.
The Search feature also allows you to search the text of the session, namely the Captions and the Notes:
- If you have a Purchase Order account, a valid Purchase Order needs to be set before you make any requests from Panopto. If there isn’t a default Purchase Order set, the most recent valid one will be used. If there aren’t any valid Purchase Orders, all captioning requests will be rejected.
- If you need to make any changes to the captions, login to your CaptionSync account to use our Redo feature. Note that Panopto will not retrieve the Redo results if the original submission was successful; Panopto only picks up Redo results if the original submission failed. So you will need to download the caption file from CaptionSync and manually upload it to the media in your Panopto account.