Closed Captioning VoiceThread videos with CaptionSync is easy using our integration. This tutorial describes how to set up CaptionSync's integration with VoiceThread, a platform that allows users to record, edit, store and manage media.
- Provide VoiceThread Support with your CaptionSync username, and ask them to configure your system for the CaptionSync integration, and supply you with an SSH key.
- In the meantime, log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for VoiceThread Integration from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see VoiceThread on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, and you have the SSH key provided by VoiceThread Support, log back into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> SSH Keys and click Add Another Key. Paste the SSH key into New Public Key, add a Note for Key (e.g. VoiceThread), and click Add Key. The status initially shows as Pending, but changes to Ready within 5 minutes (reload the page).
VoiceThread User Permissions:
Before making Captioning requests, you need to ensure your user has the appropriate permissions. VoiceThread administrators can restrict the ability of specific users to make Captioning requests. So you need to contact your VoiceThread system administrator and ask them to do the following: go to Manager -> Manage Members, and select the User you want to give access to. Check the Closed Captioning box (Allow this user to access my third-party closed-caption license) and click Save:
Submitting Content for Captioning:
- Log into your VoiceThread account, and select the recording(s) you wish to have captioned. Click on the CC icon, and choose Add captions:
- On the next dialog box, click the play icon, next to Automatic Sync:
- A request for transcription and captioning will now be sent to AST.
To see details of a request, cancel it or to submit a redo, log into CaptionSync and go to Captioning -> Status of Submissions.
As soon as results are completed, they will be posted back into your VoiceThread system. To watch captions being displayed, click on the CC icon, and choose On:
Finally, launch the player by clicking Play:
Requesting Captioning for a Comment:
- Click the comment you wish to caption. Click the CC button inside the comment bubble:
- On the next dialog box, click the play icon, next to Automatic Sync. A request for transcription and captioning will now be sent to AST. Note that each comment needs to be captioned separately.
- As soon as results are completed, they will be posted back into your VoiceThread system. To watch captions being displayed, click the CC icon, on the top right-hand corner, and choose On. Note that you can make your comment larger by clicking the bottom right-hand corner of the comment window:
- If you have a Purchase Order account, a valid Purchase Order needs to be set before you make any requests from VoiceThread. If there isn’t a default Purchase Order set, the most recent valid one will be used. If there aren’t any valid Purchase Orders, all captioning requests will be rejected.