Closed Captioning Brightcove Studio videos with CaptionSync is easy using our integration. This tutorial describes how to set up CaptionSync's integration with Brightcove Studio.
Released January 2016, the Brightcove Video Cloud Studio includes some major improvements to the Brightcove Player. The Brightcove Player now allow users to associate a .VTT caption file with their videos. This tutorial describes how to use CaptionSync's .2014.VTT caption file with the Brightcove Player.
One-Time Setup (CaptionSync account):
- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for Brightcove Integration from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see Brightcove on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, log into your Brightcove account and copy an API read token with URL access. This can be found in the Brightcove Studio under Account Settings -> API Management.
- Paste the read token into the appropriate field on your AST account under Settings -> Brightcove Settings (see screenshot below). This token allows AST to retrieve media files from your Brightcove account for captioning.
- On your Brightcove account, copy the write token, then paste it into the appropriate field on your AST account. This token allows AST to update the metadata for your videos after they have been captioned.
- On the same screen in your AST account, you will also need to set the Base URL to Captions and the Callback URL for Captions. These fields indicate where the caption files will be stored after they are created. Note also that AST can host the caption files for you if you do not have a hosting location on your own server. If you choose to use CaptionSync hosting, you can accept the default values for the Base URL and Callback URL fields.
- Click Update Settings:
One-Time Setup (Brightcove account):
The Brightcove Accessible Player reads the location of the caption file for each video from a custom metadata field that you must add to your account. Here are the steps to add the custom field:
- In your Brightcove account, go to Account Settings -> Video Fields.
- Click Add Custom Field and create a new custom field with an internal name of dfxppath and type text. The Display Name that you use for this field can vary, but we suggest using Caption URL.
- Save your settings. This new metadata field will now be available for all videos that you upload, and will be used by the CaptionSync integration to set the complete URL for the caption file when the caption job is complete.
- In your CaptionSync account, go to Caption/Transcribe -> New Brightcove List for Captioning -> Advanced Settings. Select the .2014.vtt output. Check Save Above Settings as Default, and click Apply Changes.
- Enter a short description for your list and add any optional transcription notes. On the Tags field, you can enter a tag, which will filter only a subset of all your Brightcove videos. This is useful if you have many videos in your library. The tags are a set of keywords that can be assigned to a video or set of videos on your Brightcove account. Learn in our Brightcove Tags article how to set them up.
- On the next screen, you will be presented with a list of videos that have not been captioned yet. You can select or deselect videos before submitting your job. If you used a tag when submitting the list, you will only be presented with the videos tagged in your Brightcove system.
Click Caption Selected Videos:
To see details of a request, cancel it or to submit a redo, log into CaptionSync and go to Captioning -> Status of Submissions. You may also use the Brightcove ID to track the status of your submissions by pasting the ID at the end of the https://web.automaticsync.com/show_details.php?bc_id= URL; then copy and paste the URL in your browser.
- Once captions are completed, go to the relevant Submission Details Page and download the .2014.vtt caption file.
Associating Captions with a Brightcove entry:
- Log into your Brightcove account and click Media. From your list of media files, click on the name of the video you wish to associate captions with.
- In the Brightcove Player settings window, scroll down to Text Tracks and click Edit.
- Click Add Text Track, then Browse, and browse for the .2014.vtt file you downloaded from CaptionSync.
- Enter appropriate values for the Language, Label and Kind fields. Select the Default checkbox if you wish to use that file as the default captioning.
- Click Add Text Track to proceed. Repeat the previous steps, if you wish to upload multiple caption files in different languages.
- Click Save.
- In the Brightcove Player settings window, click Publish to launch the Brightcove Player.
- Click CC to display captions during playback:
- If you have a Purchase Order account, a valid Purchase Order needs to be set before you make any requests from Brightcove. If there isn’t a default Purchase Order set, the most recent valid one will be used. If there aren’t any valid Purchase Orders, all captioning requests will be rejected.
- The Brightcove Studio does not display captions in the Brightcove Player settings window. To view captions, open the Brightcove Player by clicking the Publish link.
- Note that as of June 2016, Brightcove users will be defaulted to Brightcove Video Cloud Studio upon login. Users can switch back to the previous version of Brightcove Studio at any time by clicking the Legacy Studio link in the top-right-hand corner of the screen.