Timed Text Markup Language (TTML), previously referred to as Distribution Format Exchange Profile (DFXP), is a content type that represents timed text media, and can be used to deliver captions. TTML is used in the television industry and the Internet for the purpose of authoring, transcoding and exchanging timed text information and for delivering captions, subtitles, and other metadata.
The official TTML specification is very broad; this means there is a very broad flexibility allowed in the construction of these formats. CaptionSync generates some of the more common TTML variations as caption output types:
- .adb.xml (used by most Flash players with Begin/Dur tags)
- .dfxp.xml (used by most Flash players with Begin/End tags -- this is the most commonly used DFXP format)
- .bc.xml (DFXP for Brightcove systems)
- .ensemble.xml (DFXP for Ensemble Video systems)
- .smptett.xml (SMPTE 2052 standard TTML for broadcast)
The .ADB.XML output is a timed text output for Flash that uses the begin/dur syntax, and is also used for Panopto Lecture Capture systems.
The .DFXP.XML output is a timed text for Flash that uses the begin/end syntax, and is used by most of our integration partners (e.g., Kaltura, Mediasite, NCast, thePlatform, VoiceThread).
The .BC.XML output is specifically produced by CaptionSync for use with our integration partner Brightcove.
The .ENSEMBLE.XML output is specifically produced by CaptionSync for use with our integration partner Ensemble Video.
The .SMPTETT.XML output (SMPTE stands for Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) extends the full DFXP format and contains some extra fields to support the broadcast industry. This format supports a "708" style captions, being suitable for broadcasters looking for 708 captions or HD captions. It also supports vertical and horizontal positioning.
- Many applications ignore the styling information contained in these formats. So information like font, font size, color and horizontal alignment can be ignored by some players.
- If you need a custom TTML format, please open a Support ticket and send us your technical requirements.