Adding real-time/live captions to your Blackboard Collaborate sessions is easy with CaptionSync. In this article, we describe how Instructors and Moderators can provide real-time captions on Blackboard Collaborate.
Requesting Live Captioning:
- To request Live Captioning for your event, log into your CaptionSync account and follow the instructions in our Live Captioning tutorial on how to schedule and choose the appropriate service.
Providing real-time captions on Blackboard Collaborate:
- Log into Blackboard Collaborate as a Moderator. Search the Attendees panel for the name of the caption writer that we assigned to your event. The caption writer will log into the Blackboard event about 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start of the session, and typically will indicate their name in a form like "Emily (Captioner)".
- Moderators must promote our caption writer to the "Captioner" status in the Blackboard session, so that they can provide real-time captions to the audience. Point to an attendee in the Attendees panel and choose Moderator controls. Select Make captioner for our our caption writer, so that they can type in real time what is being said during the session. Captioners are identified in the Attendees panel with a Closed Caption (CC) icon by them. More information about finding and managing attendees can be found in Blackboard's Manage Attendees tutorial.
- There can be multiple captioners for multiple languages. The captions entered during the live session are included when the session is recorded, but if there is more than one caption track, only the first available is captured.
- If you are a Blackboard Collaborate attendee/participant, check out our tutorial on how to use Real-time Captions in the sessions you attend.
- More information about providing Live Captioning for Blackboard sessions is available in Blackboard's Accessibility in Blackboard Collaborate tutorial.