Closed Captioning YouTube videos with CaptionSync is easy. This tutorial describes how to set up CaptionSync's integration with YouTube.
With CaptionSync's YouTube Playlist integration you can make new Captioning requests directly from your YouTube account. You can also have multiple YouTube users associated, and can disable them at any time.
- Log into your CaptionSync account, click Settings -> Account Features, and select Enable my account for YouTube integration from the Account Feature to Add drop-down menu. Finally, click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you can't see YouTube integration on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, then it's already enabled.
Note: If you want us to deliver your captioning results automatically into your YouTube account, then you'll also need to authorize AST to deliver results to the YouTube user following the steps described in our YouTube Integration tutorial.
Enabling the Playlist Integration for a YouTube user:
- Once you're notified that the feature is enabled, go to Settings -> YouTube Playlist, and click Associate a New Google Account:
- Choose the Google account you're setting up for the integration, and click Allow in the "Grant automaticsync.com permission" pop-up window (you will be prompted to log in if you're not already logged into Google):
- You'll then be prompted to a Confirm your choices page. Click Allow.
You'll then see this user listed on Settings -> YouTube Playlist. You can add as many YouTube users as you need.
- Click Set Up Queues, next to the new user, to set up the captioning queues in order to start making new requests from within your YouTube account.
- AST-Requested is the default Queue Name, but you can choose to enter a different name. The Queue Name you choose will correspond to the playlist on YouTube where you'll be placing the videos you wish to have captioned.
NOTE 1: If you already have a playlist created for your videos, and you named the Queue after that playlist, all the videos in that playlist will be automatically captioned, upon setting up the integration. Note that the requests are billable!
NOTE 2: This integration will also process videos you don't own, when these are added to the playlist the integration is monitoring.
- Finally, click Save.
NOTE: If you leave the New Queue Name field blank, all uncaptioned videos in your account will be downloaded for captioning in your CaptionSync account, and the requests are billable!
Submitting Content for Transcription and Captioning:
- Log into your YouTube account, and go to Creator Studio -> Video Manager -> Videos.
- Select the video or videos you wish to have captioned, and click Add to. Then, find the playlist you previously named as the Queue Name for sending videos for captioning, e.g. AST-Requested; and click on it.
Viewing the Status of the Request:
To track the status, details of a request, cancel it or to submit a redo, log into CaptionSync and go to Captioning -> Status of Submissions. You may also view the status of your submissions from within your YouTube account, by going to Creator Studio -> Video Manager -> Playlists. Once we have received and processed your request the new submission will show either under the AST-Received, or AST-Rejected playlist.
- Captions can be delivered automatically into the YouTube account, if you have previously authorized AST to deliver results to the YouTube user. Once captions are delivered into the YouTube account, they will be displayed when you play the video, showing the language of the caption file, and the AST CaptionSync Captions identifier:
- If you still can't see captions, you may need to click the Captions/CC icon:
If we're unable to deliver results into a YouTube account automatically, you'll need to take the .srt file and upload it into the YouTube account.
Alternatively, you can use our Smart Player feature to display captions for your video in a hassle-free manner.
- It is possible to have multiple CaptionSync accounts integrated with the same YouTube user. But note that we don't monitor for duplicate URLs. So if you submit a URL from a YouTube user integrated with one CaptionSync account, ensure it is not later submitted in another CaptionSync account also integrated with that user. This can be done by checking the Status of Existing Lists pages in both accounts, and then the individual List Details pages, which can give you details about the URLs submitted for each individual list.
- In some cases users have completed the YouTube Playlist integration setup and added videos to their AST-Requested playlist, but the videos were not successfully received as submissions. This issue has now been resolved. To avoid captioning videos that no longer require captions (for example, ones that were captioned via our List of URLs feature), we will reset all requested playlists on February 17. If you have any videos in your requested playlist that do still need captioning, please make note of them and add them again to the playlist on February 18. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please sign in to leave a comment.