Adding real-time/live captions to your Zoom meetings is easy with CaptionSync. In this article, we describe how hosts can provide real-time captions on Zoom.
Requesting Live Captioning:
- To request Live Captioning for your event, log into your CaptionSync account and follow the instructions in our Live Captioning tutorial on how to schedule and choose the appropriate service.
- Add the Zoom link next to Audio Source, and provide any additional information in the Comments section.
If you need to obtain a StreamText URL for your event, as a backup live stream for example, please add that request to the Comments section. E.g.: Please provide StreamText link.
Once the Live Captioning request is booked, you'll receive a confirmation email from our firstname.lastname@example.org address with the captioner's information and other details.
Note: If you need to make changes or cancel your existing request, you can do so from within the respective Live Captioning Details page, in your CaptionSync account. But, if you need to contact the captioner just before the session starts, or for urgent changes to the audio source information, please use the captioner's contact information provided in the confirmation email.
Providing real-time captions on Zoom:
Enabling closed captions:
- Ensure your Zoom Administrator enables Closed Captioning under Account Management -> Account Settings -> In Meeting (Advanced), prior to the session.
Note: If you want this setting applied by default to all users in your account, click the lock icon, and then click Lock to confirm the setting.
Starting live captioning:
- In a Zoom session you're hosting, click Closed Caption in the controls bar, and select the Assign a participant to type option, under Assign someone to type.
- From the participants list, select the AST captioner and click More. Finally, click Assign to Type Closed Caption.
- Viewers can then turn on/off captioning in Zoom as needed, by clicking Closed Caption in the controls bar.
- Once the session has concluded, we will automatically email you a text transcript, in the next 24 hours, to the address we have on file for your account. The transcript will also be available for download from within the Details page of your Live Captioning request, next to Transcript.
- Additionally, you can order a caption output for your session, in the .srt or .vtt format, from the Request drop-down menu, in the New Live Captioning Request page, at schedule time. If you have ordered a caption output, it will be emailed separately from our email@example.com address, in the following 24 hours. Note that, generating a caption output is a service with an extra cost.
- More information about providing Live Captioning for Zoom sessions is available in Zoom's Getting started with closed captioning tutorial.