Adding real-time/live captions to your Adobe Connect meetings is easy with CaptionSync. In this article, we describe how hosts can provide real-time captions on Adobe Connect.
Requesting Live Captioning:
- To request Live Captioning for your event, log into your CaptionSync account and follow the instructions in our Live Captioning tutorial on how to schedule and choose the appropriate service.
- Add the Adobe Connect link to the meeting next to Audio Source, and provide any additional information in the Comments section.
- If you need to obtain a StreamText URL for your event, as a backup live stream for example, please add that request to the Comments section. E.g.: Please provide a StreamText link. But, note that if you need the live captions to be delivered to both outputs, Adobe Connect and StreamText, you'll need to specifically make that request in the Comments section, at schedule time. E.g.: Please provide live captions on both the Adobe Connect room and StreamText.
- Once the Live Captioning request is booked, you'll receive a confirmation email from our email@example.com address, with the captioner's information and other details.
Note: If you need to make changes or cancel your existing request, you can do so from within the respective Live Captioning Details page, in your CaptionSync account. But, if you need to contact the captioner just before the session starts, or for urgent changes to the audio source information, please use the captioner's contact information provided in the confirmation email.
Enabling real-time captions on Adobe Connect 11.2:
Adobe Connect now supports closed captions natively. To enable captions for your Connect meeting, follow the steps below:
- The host or meeting organizer will need to enable closed captions for the Connect room under Preferences -> Closed Captions, prior to the session.
- Give a name to the caption title, e.g.: English.
- Ensure the Assign an attendee to type captions option is selected under Caption provider.
- Finally, click Done. A new CC menu will be available for both host and participants within the Connect room.
Starting Live Captioning:
Using Adobe Connect captioning feature:
- In the Connect meeting you're hosting, click on CC -> "English" - Select Captioner, and select the AST captioner from the participants list.
- Participants will then be able to display or hide captions by clicking on the CC menu. They will also be able to change the font size, apply text background combination, and/or change the position of the caption box.
NOTE: This delivery method will not allow us to generate an additional output (SRT or VTT).
Using StreamText's API token:
- Go to Preferences -> Closed Captions and choose StreamText under Caption provider.
- Back on the Connect room, click on CC > "English" - Copy StreamText API Token, in order to generate StreamText's API token.
- Send this token to the captioner, before the start of the session, in the following format (preferably, make it available at schedule time, in the Comments section of the request page):
https://domain of the account/service/ccsvc?token=<token copied from Adobe>
- The captioner will use this URL to set up the event on StreamText and deliver captions into the Connect room.
If you are using Adobe Connect 10.x or previous versions...
- Download a generic captioning pod from Adobe Support, and add it to your Connect room by clicking Pods -> Share -> Add New Share -> Share Document, and browsing for the ClosedCaptioningPod_v4.2.zip file.
- Assign the AST captioner as Host, in order to allow them access to the pod's connection settings, and they will set up the new connection with their captioning system.
- Participants will then be able to watch captions within the caption viewer, in their own Adobe Connect instance, and will be able to change the font size, font color and background combination.
- Once the session has concluded, we will automatically email you a text transcript, in the next 24-48 hours, to the address we have on file for your account. The transcript will also be available for download from within the Details page of your Live Captioning request, next to Transcript.
- Additionally, you can order a caption output for your session, in the .srt or .vtt format, from the Request drop-down menu, in the New Live Captioning Request page, at schedule time. If you have ordered a caption output, it will be emailed separately from our firstname.lastname@example.org address, in the following 24 hours. Note that, generating a caption output is a service with an extra cost.
- More information about providing Live Captioning for Adobe Connect sessions is available in Adobe's Closed captioning in Adobe Connect tutorial.