Enabling your account for this feature:
- Log into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Account Features, select Enable my account for Panopto Integration from the drop-down menu, and click Request Account Feature. You will receive an email updating you about the feature status. Note that if you don't see Panopto on the "Account Feature to Add" drop-down menu, it's already enabled.
- Once you are notified that the feature is enabled, log back into CaptionSync, go to Settings -> Panopto, and copy the Shared Secret.
- Log into your Panopto system as an administrator, go to System, and open the Caption Services tab. Click Enable next to AST CaptionSync:
- Once the service is enabled (may take up to 5 minutes), click Edit:
- Enter a name for the integration next to Name. We would recommend using the following naming convention, to ensure it is not confused for other captioning services: "CaptionSync" + "the default turnaround time set up in your CaptionSync account". Example: CaptionSync 2-day.
- Enter your CaptionSync username next to User. This is the same username you use to log into your CaptionSync account.
- Paste the Shared Secret into the Password field.
- Finally, click Save.
You should then see the integration listed under the Caption Services tab. To start using the integration, follow the instructions below.
Requesting Captioning and Transcription for all presentations in a folder:
To caption all lectures for a given folder, go to the All Folders page, under System. Click the Settings icon for the folder. On the Settings tab, under the Captions section, choose AST CaptionSync:
This will send out a request for captioning for all sessions in the folder that have not already been captioned. When this option is chosen, all future sessions for this folder will automatically be sent for captioning as soon as the recording is completed and processed.
Requesting Captioning and Transcription for individual presentations:
To caption an existing recording, click its Settings icon. On the Captions tab, choose AST CaptionSync, and then click Order:
The Status will show Captions Requested. Once the captions are available in your Panopto system, the status will show Captions Imported.
To see details of a request, cancel it or to submit a redo, log into CaptionSync and go to Captioning -> Status of Submissions. You may also use the Panopto ID to track the status of your submissions by pasting the ID at the end of the https://web.automaticsync.com/show_details.php?p_id= URL; then copy and paste the URL in your browser.
Once captions are associated with an entry, you can turn them on/off in the Panopto player, by clicking the CC icon:
Clicking the CC icon will also allow you to configure some appearance settings:
The player offers other useful tools that are only available if your session is captioned: you can scrub through the caption text to see what the speaker is saying; and if you click a caption, the player will resume at that point.
The Search feature also allows you to search the text of the session, namely the Captions and the Notes:
- If you have a Purchase Order account, a valid Purchase Order needs to be set before you make any requests from Panopto. If there isn’t a default Purchase Order set, the most recent valid one will be used. If there aren’t any valid Purchase Orders, all captioning requests will be rejected.
- To enable the integration for more than one account, or make expedited transcription requests from your Panopto system, read this article about configuring the Panopto integration for more than one CaptionSync account.
- If you need to make any changes to the captions, log into your CaptionSync account to use our Redo feature. Note that Panopto will not retrieve the Redo results if the original submission was successful; Panopto only picks up Redo results if the original submission failed. So you will need to download the caption file from CaptionSync and manually upload it to the media in your Panopto account.