Closed Captioning online videos is easy with the CaptionSync Smart Player. This tool displays captions for online media in a hassle-free manner, including videos that you do not own. It provides a number of enhancements over regular players, and is packed with a range of powerful features, including:
- Keyboard-accessible playback controls for WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance (Play/Pause, Rewind, Progress Bar, Mute/Unmute, CC On/Off) with full keyboard control, high-contrast, and aria-labelled for screen reader compatibility.
- Playback speed controls for MP4 videos.
- Ability to move the captions below the video.
- Preferences dialog box to set and save personal preferences, like position of transcript and captions.
- WebVTT captions (for links generated after March 2017) for better compatibility with mobile devices. The CaptionSync users can also edit their results on the CaptionSync Caption Editor and have captions aligned to the left or right side of the screen (rather than centered).
- An interactive transcript that allows viewers to see the entire text transcript and immediately jump to any point in the captions by clicking on that point in the transcript. Likewise, if viewers click on a point on the video timeline, the transcript will immediately synchronize to that point in the video.
- A text search feature.
- Dictionary lookup.
- Wikipedia lookup.
- Automatic SEO using the caption data.
- Clip and share.
- Ability to embed player in your own website.
- Support for both HTTP and HTTPS URLs.
Making the Captioning request:
There are several important notes you should read, before placing your request:
- The Smart Player feature only works if the owner of the video allows embedding and playback as embedded. If you are submitting YouTube or Vimeo videos, ensure you check the Embedding settings, before placing your request! Detailed notes are available for YouTube URLs and for Vimeo URLs.
- There are several configuration options available that you should check before placing your request.
- The Smart Player is available for the URLs listed below. Please check the article that matches your URL in the list below, to see how to properly format and submit it, before placing your request:
Finally, you can make your request using our List of URLs feature.
Generating the Smart Player link:
- Once captioning is complete, go to Caption/Transcribe -> Status of Lists, and open the List Details page for your request. You'll see a new Smart Player URL column. Click Generate:
- Then click Launch to open the Smart Player page for each individual job:
- Alternatively, you can click the AST ID for each job, and on the Details page, click Generate Smart Player URL. The page will refresh with a URL to the Smart Player:
- Once you open the Smart Player URL in your browser, your media file, an interactive transcript and several other features will be available:
Using the CaptionSync Smart Player:
- The On tap/click menu allows you to determine what happens when you click on a string on the transcript. You can jump into that point on the captions (the matching caption will play immediately); or, you can get dictionary or Wikipedia definitions of words/phrases:
- The player also offers a Search tool, which allows you to search the text of the media. If you type in a word or phrase that you want to find, the player will instantly show all instances of the search phrase, and if you click on any one of them the player will bring you immediately to that segment in the recording:
- Under the video pane, you'll find the player controls and other features:
- Play, Rewind and Sound controls.
- CC control: toggle captions on and off.
- Speed controls (for MP4 videos only): you can increase or decrease the playback speed from 0.5x to 2x.
- User Preferences: click it to hide the interactive transcript pane, or change its position (Right or Below the video); and to change the position of the captions (Overlay or Below the video).
- Help: click it to see more information about the Smart Player, including a list of keyboard shortcuts.
- Embed: click it to create a link to embed the player in a webpage.
- Clip & Share: click it to generate a link to share part of the video with others.
See an example of the CaptionSync Smart Player playing.
Embedding the Smart Player:
- Click Embed to generate the embed code. Copy/Paste the embed code into any LMS or Video Hosting platform.
- The CaptionSync Smart Player supports both HTTP and HTTPS URLs. By default the Embed option will generate a HTTP URL; add an S to HTTPS in the URL, if you wish to embed the player securely. For example, if the Smart Player URL that is generated starts with http://smartplayer.automaticsync.com..., change it to https://smartplayer.automaticsync.com..., refresh your screen, and then click Embed to get a secure embed code.
Generating and Receiving the Smart Player links automatically:
- You can choose to have the Smart Player links generated automatically, by configuring the Automatically Generate Smart Player Links options, under Settings -> Smart Player:
- You can also receive the Smart Player links via email, once results are available, by checking the Smart Player Links Auto-Generated box, under Settings -> Contact Settings, and then saving by clicking Update Contact Settings:
- If you wish to hide the title of the video being embedded, add &hidetitle to the end of the URL. E.g.: https://smartplayer.captionsync.com/play.php?vid=1449610060yourID_17afc3e607fe&hidetitle
- If you are experiencing problems with the current version of the Smart Player, you can access a previous version by changing play.php to play-b.php, in the Smart Player URL.
- The CaptionSync Smart Player is accessing the video via the URL you provided; if this URL is changed or removed, then the Smart Player link will no longer work.
- When you generate a SmartPlayer link, it will remain functional for five years.
- Our Smart Player is made available to CaptionSync users at no cost. We endeavor to keep the Smart Player up to date, but changes to browsers and video platforms are frequent and usually unannounced, so we are unable to guarantee that all features of the player will work on all combinations of browsers and video types. If you find something not working as expected, please let us know so we can get it repaired.
- The CaptionSync Smart Player is an optional feature that should only be used with material that can be posted publicly; if you choose to use the Smart Player, please understand that it necessarily makes your content and captions available on a publicly accessible URL. The video and caption data will be exposed once you share this link. Please do not use the Smart Player with sensitive or confidential material.