Thank you for choosing CaptionSync by Automatic Sync Technologies for your captioning and transcription. This tutorial describes in detail how to use our system and make a submission (bill-in-arrears accounts).
For more information about our system, read our Background on CaptionSync article.
Video Tutorial (This video is an alternative to the Text Tutorial)
Logging into your Account:
- When you first sign up for a CaptionSync account, you receive a Welcome email with your username and password. Keep this email for future reference. You can log into your CaptionSync account in our login page.
- When you log in for the first time, you have to agree to the Terms and Conditions. There may be News to read, when you log in. These news items contain important information. Ensure you check each one before marking them as read.
- In the Help page, you can find the link to our Support Center, current price sheets, and policy documents.
- Not all features are initially available, but you can add them at any time, for free. These include batch uploading tools, integrations to 3rd-party systems, the translation of your results, submitting URLs to your files, among others.
- If you're looking to make Live Captioning requests, check out our Live Captioning tutorial instead.
Making a Submission:
- If you're looking to make Audio Description requests, please check out our Audio Description tutorial first.
- With CaptionSync, you can either upload your own transcript along with your media file; or you can submit your video for both transcription and captioning.
Note: if you want to upload a group of files, or a really large file, take a look at the different options first:
- If you only need a transcript, ensure you have the submission type of Transcription Only. You can do that in the Change Submission Type page. Then, you need to use the New Transcription Submission page to make your request.
- To request captioning, you need to use the New Captioning Submission page:
- If your account requires a Purchase Order number, you will need to enter one by Purchase Order.
- In the Description field, put the title, or a brief description. Note that this description is just for your use, as nobody will be reading this.
- Mouse over the several fields and click the question marks to see more information in our Support Center, if you have questions.
- On the Transcription field, Transcription and Captioning bundle is selected by default. You can choose Captioning Only if you have your own verbatim transcript. Check our Transcription Guidelines article for more information on how to format your transcript.
- If you chose Transcription and Captioning bundle, you can select the Transcription Turnaround time; and you can also expand Add Transcriber Guidance to add pertinent information for the transcriber, like asking that the different speakers are identified, or making specific terminology available. If you need to have the speakers identified, you'll need to select the desired ID format, from within the Speaker ID Format drop-down menu, or choose the No Speaker ID option:
- Next, browse for your media. Click the question mark to see which formats we accept.
- Check your default settings:
- If you're not sure about which outputs you need, check out our article on this topic for more information.
- For information on how to set the caption appearance settings, check out our article on this topic.
- If your media is not in English, ensure you choose the appropriate language setting under the Language/Content tab.
- Finally, click Start Upload. Ensure you keep the browser window open up until the upload is complete.
- Once you see the Success screen, click on Status of Submissions, and check the duration to see if it's correct. If the duration is not correct, cancel the request immediately.
- Results will be emailed to you and they can also be downloaded from the Details page. You can also see the appearance settings and billing information for your request.
- At the end of each month, if you did any billable submissions, you'll be emailed an invoice. You can check your billing to date and pay invoices under the Billing tab.