Captioning content in Learning Management Systems is quite easy using CaptionSync. Our CaptionSync Smart Player, or our integrations with multiple video platforms, offer a simple and easy way to add captions to online courses in Moodle, Blackboard Learn, Brightspace, Canvas and many other Learning Management Systems platforms.
Which method should I choose?
There are several captioning methods available, depending on whether you own the video or not.
You own the video:
If you own the video you want to caption, the first step is to place it on a video storage platform. One simple and inexpensive option is YouTube. Most Learning Management Systems (LMS) have a built-in YouTube embed widget, which allow you to easily embed the videos.
Other options are Panopto, Mediasite, Brightcove, VoiceThread, or any other online platform that allows you to embed the video on your LMS.
Then you have 3 options to caption the video:
- Smart Player: you can submit a URL to the video, and once results are ready, you can embed the Smart Player directly on your LMS. This player offers several additional features like keyboard-accessible playback controls, an interactive transcript, clip and share, the ability to embed the player in your own website, among many others.
- Video platform integrations: if your video is located in a platform we are integrated with, you can make the captioning request, and once results are ready, we will post the caption file directly to the video platform. Then you can embed the video in your LMS.
- Other video platforms: if your video is located in another video platform, you can make the captioning request, and once results are ready, associate the captions with the video, and embed it in your LMS. If the player does not support Closed Captioning, you can add Open Captioning to the request at submission time, and once results are ready, you just need to upload the encoded output into the video platform, and embed it in your LMS.
You don't own the video:
If you're captioning videos you don't own and want to embed in your LMS course, then you can use the Smart Player.
Using the CaptionSync Smart Player:
The CaptionSync Smart Player can be easily embedded into your Learning Management System platform. See an example of the CaptionSync Smart Player playing.
Making the request:
- Submit your media file for captioning. The Smart Player is available for the following URLs: YouTube, Dropbox, Vimeo, and direct URLs to .mp4, .m4v, .f4v, or .mp3 media files. If the URL to your file is not compatible with our List of URLs feature, then we recommend placing the video on YouTube; or in your local system as long as the URL points directly to the media file, e.g.: http://www.domain.com/path/video_filename.mp4 .
We also recommend adding Result Review to your request.
- Once final results are available, open the URL List Details page, and generate and launch the CaptionSync Smart Player, under the Smart Player URL column.
- In the CaptionSync Smart Player window, click the Embed option to generate the embed code. Copy/Paste the embed code into your LMS.
Embedding the Smart Player:
The CaptionSync Smart Player supports both HTTP and HTTPS URLs. By default the Embed option will generate a HTTP URL; add an S to HTTPS in the URL, if you wish to embed the player securely. For example, if the Smart Player URL that is generated starts with http://smartplayer.automaticsync.com..., change it to https://smartplayer.automaticsync.com..., refresh your screen, and then click Embed to get a secure embed code.
Here's an example of the CaptionSync Smart Player being embedded into Brightspace by D2L:
Here is an example of the CaptionSync Smart Player embedded in Canvas:
NOTE: If you are a Canvas administrator, see how to configure our Smart Player LTI application for Canvas, to easily embed videos in Canvas courses (captioned using our Smart Player feature).
- If you wish to hide the title of the video being embedded, add &hidetitle to the end of the URL. E.g.: https://smartplayer.captionsync.com/play.php?vid=vid=1449610060yourID_17afc3e607fe&hidetitle
- All controls in the CaptionSync Smart Player are keyboard accessible; click the Help button to view the list of keyboard shortcuts.
Using an Integration with a Video Platform:
If your video is located in a platform we are integrated with, like YouTube, Panopto, Mediasite, etc, you can take advantage of our integrations with those platforms to add captions to the media file. You just need to enable your CaptionSync account for the relevant integration, make the captioning request, and then we will post back captions automatically into the video platform, when results are available. You can then embed the lecture in your LMS, and captions will be displayed when playing the video.
See the integrations we have available, and how to use and configure them, in our Closed Captioning Integrations category.
Other Video Platforms:
If your video is located in an online platform we're not integrated with, you can make a manual request for it, and then associate the captions with the video. You can then embed the lecture in your LMS, and captions will be displayed when playing the video (ensure the video player you're using supports Closed Captioning).
If the player does not support Closed Captioning, you can select Open Captioning at submission time, and then you just need to upload the finished encoded output into the video platform. You can then embed the lecture in your LMS.